The Digital City and Mediated Urban Ecologies (Palgrave Macmillan, 2016).
Published book chapters and articles
“Digital Urban Health & Security: NYC’s Got An App For That,” in Edward Clift, Carol Smith, and Glenda Amayo Caldwell, eds., Digital Futures and the City of Today: New Technologies and Physical Spaces (Intellect Books: 2016).
Case study: “New York City’s Open Data,” in Eric Gordon and Paul Mihailidis, eds., Civic Media: Technology, Design, Practice (MIT Press, 2016).
“Designing Cities of the Future,” Digital America. Issue 1; Vol. 3. December 17, 2013. Pedagogical process piece.
Six chapters in Davis, Perrin, ed., Creating Academic & Professional Success: Course Book, Agate Publishing, 2007.
“Gateway to Virtual Science,” University of Chicago Magazine, Dec. 2001.
CONFERENCES AND SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS
Featured / Invited Speaker:
- “Smart City Seattle and the Geographies of Exclusion,” Eastern Communication Association Conference, Philadelphia, PA. *Featured speaker; paper chosen as one of top four papers submitted for 2015 conference and reviewed by the Communication and Technology Interest Group, 2015.
- “Open Data / Open Government? The New (Digital) Urbanism,” Cities at the Center of the World Conference, George Mason University Center for Global Studies, Arlington, VA, 2014.
- “Augmented Gender Identities in Massive Multiplayer Online Environments,” Gender and Masculinity Conference, Hampden-Sydney College, VA, 2014.
- “Gov 2.0: Open Government,” IITEC Conference: TIC e Envolvimento Cidadão, Belém do Pará, Federal University of Pará, Brazil, 2016.
- “Digital Urban Health & Security: NYC’s Got an App for That,” The Mediated City Conference, Los Angeles, CA, 2014.
- “Seattle as a ‘Smart City’: Digital Sustainability, Race, Class and Equity,” as part of panel, “Who Makes a City?: Contesting and Creating Urban Space,” Cultural Studies Association Conference, Salt Lake City, Utah, 2014.
- “CyberCity, USA: Re-Engineering Citizenship Through Urban Militarization and Securitization,” Crossroads 2014, Association for Cultural Studies. Tampere, Finland, 2014.
- “The ‘Digital City’: Urban Heterotopias.” Radical Space: The Centre for Cultural Studies Research Conference, University of East London, England, 2013.
- Chair and Presenter: “New York City: Digital Sustainability & Open (Data) Government,” for panel: “From New York to Jakarta: Digi-Transitional Urban Spaces and Materialities,” Cultural Studies Association Conference, Columbia College Chicago, Chicago, IL, 2013.
- “New York City’s Road Map for the Digital City: Social Media(ted) Governance or Smartphone Surveillance?” Critiquing Culture: The Cultural Studies Graduate Conference, George Mason University, VA, 2012.
- “Global Positioning SYstems and the (Re)structuring of the Urban Public Sphere” for panel: “Mediating Mobilities: Cell Phones in the Public Sphere,” Cultural Studies Association Conference, Columbia College Chicago, Chicago, IL, 2011.
- “Technological Anaesthesia” Cultural Studies Association Conference, UC Berkeley, CA, 2010.
- “The Transhumanist Vision of Postgenderism and H+Media: Beyond the Gender Binary?” Gender, Bodies, and Technology Conference, Virginia Tech, Roanoke, VA, 2010.
- “Transhumanism and the Dollhouse: An Exploration of Imprinted Happiness and the Downloading of Consciousness,” Manufacturing Happiness: Investigating Subjectivity, Transformation, and Cultural Capital Conference, George Mason University, VA, 2009.
- “Cyberculture and Second Life,” Second Life at Mason,Community of Distance Educators Academy Conference, George Mason University, VA, 2009.
- “The Fragmentation of the Narrative Body and the Queering of Identity in Jeanette Winterson’s The Powerbook,” GLBTQ – Queer Art/Queer Action (Politics of Possibility) Conference,University of North Carolina at Asheville, NC, 2009.
- “Screen Life,” Unthinking Television: Visual Culture[s] Beyond the Console Conference, George Mason University, VA, 2009.
- “Mii, Myself, and I(dentities),” LEVEL UP: Discussions on Video Games and Socialization, George Mason University, VA, 2009.